Christmas Recipe Serves: 8
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Calories per serving: 605
Suitable for freezing (after step 4)
Christmas Recipe Ingredients:
Breadcrumbs, fresh 75 g (3 oz)
Semi-skimmed milk, 150 ml (5 fl oz)
Haddock, smoked or fresh 250 g (9 oz)
Potatoes, 250 g (9 oz)
salt and pepper
Spinach, washed 225 g (8 oz)
Egg, 1 beaten
Cream, fresh half-fat 400 ml (12 fl oz)
Lemon, juice and rind from 1
Chives, fresh chopped 60 ml (4 tbsp)
Garnish: Fried garlic slices, fresh basil leaves
Christmas Recipe Instructions:
1. Simmer the fish and milk for about 10 minutes. Separate the fish flesh from the bones and skin. Keep the milk. Make some lightly toasted breadcrumbs.
2. Boil even sized peeled potatoes in salted water for about 15 minutes or until soft. Drain and dry at a low heat for a few minutes before mashing with the kept milk.
3. Remove the liquid from briefly cooked spinach (2 to 3 minutes), cut up and combine with the fish and potato. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Make eight fishcakes with the mixture, brush with beaten egg and coat with the previouly prepared breadcrumbs.
5. Cook the fishcakes for 20 to 25 minutes at 200 degress centigrade (400 F) until hot in the middle.
6. For the sauce combine the cream and lemon rind, heating softly. Add salt and pepper, chives and lemon juice.
7. To present: Pour the sauce over the fish. Add lemon wedges and garnish with chives.